Top 10 viral video campaign with Goviral Network – October 2009
Find the previous top 10 viral here.
1. Volkswagen – The Fun TheoryVolkswagen Sweden has come up creative initiative to change the behaviour of people by adding a little fun to everyday routines. The campaign is quickly becoming a huge success and is currently consisting of two videos, with more to be added soon. The campaign site serves as a platform to bundle the videos and encourages people to submit their own ideas. The first video reached well over a million views in just 4 days. A second video was added soon after the first one.
Agency: DDB Stockholm
2. Google Wave Cinema – Pulp FictionGoogle is trying very hard to communicate to users what the advantages of its new Google Wave application are. To make it all a bit more vivid, they developed this great viral that is constructed around a scene from the famous movie Pulp Fiction. All that dropping, adding, expanding and dragging really does seem to make conversations a lot more lively and practical. The video has so far generated around 470,000 views and was posted on 300 blogs.
3. FIFA 2010 – How big can football get?EA Sports is presenting the latest in football video games, with the new 2010 season of the FIFA Interactive World Cup. The game features a season-long tournament mirroring the real world of soccer in which competitors from all around the world participate. EA has created this high-quality content viral that is pumping with adrenaline. Part of a well-integrated campaign across different media, the video has received 430,000 views and more than a thousand user comments.
Agency: Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam
4. Rio de Janeiro – Olympic Games 2016This catchy viral was made to promote Rio de Janeiro as a candidate city for the 2016 Olympic Games. Of course, promoting a country generally requires less creativity than promoting something intangible like a brand. Nonetheless, this is a beautiful and colourful video that received around 1 million views and more than 2,300 tweets. Scenery, landmarks, sports and people are strong and well-integrated visual cues. Perhaps this viral helped a little in creating a buzz that ultimately made Rio the host city for the 2016 Olympics.
5. Diesel – Quique The HeadThe brand behind this very bizarre viral is not easily identified. However, the video tags Diesel, helmet and fashion give us a very good clue as to what we are dealing with. Diesel is no stranger to shocking and controversial viral advertising. This freaky story of a guy with no body is no exception to that tradition. He now has a job as an architect, and could soon
have a full body transplant. About 400,000 people have watched this video. See and judge for yourself…
6. Canal+ – A Great StoryA funny French viral for Canal+ that shows how an unusual series of events can get you into unpleasant situations. The cinematographic quality of the video is high. It combines humour, originality and a touch of cheekiness to communicate the brand’s communication: “Never underestimate the power of a great story”. With more than 700,000 views in just three weeks, this video has the potential to become a great story of its own.
Agency: BETC Euro RSCG
7. ReThink Breast Cancer – BoobyBallThis very smart campaign signals the kick-off of the Breast Cancer Awareness month and creates awareness for the ReThink Breast Cancer organisation. The video features Aliya-Jasmine, who is a TV Host in Canada. She was also the creative director of the commercial. A very good ad that successfully holds the viewer’s attention because you have no idea where it is going. Unconventional and humorous, but with a very serious note. The video has generated 600,000 views so far.
Agency: Rhett & Link
8. Paul Smith for Evian – More than a bottleThis campaign for Evian stretches the art of branding a product as generic as water. Evian managed to get style icon Paul Smith on board to design its new bottle. The result has been this nice video that has benefited from good seeding activity. The result is 50,000 highly targeted views. Celebrities and fashionistas crowded at Altitude 360, London, to celebrate the launch of the new bottle. Attendees included Destiny’s Child’s songstress Michelle Williams, face of Dolce & Gabbana, David Gandy, Franz Ferdinand and The Kooks.
9. Sony Ericsson– Hopper InvasionIt sounds like the dream of every kid and the secret dream of every adult: bouncing through the streets of Barcelona in a giant swarm of space hoppers. Hundreds of people participate in this giant flash mob that was organised by Sony Ericsson to promote the brand’s new slogan: “Entertainment Unlimited”. Sony Ericsson is taking the concept of a flash mob and turning it viral, in a world first as part of a teaser for an exciting campaign. The video has already passed the 100,000 views and the event is still unfolding.
Agency: Saatchi and Saatchi
10. Cadbury – Zingolo feat. TinnyCadbury is making music videos for a good cause. The brand established Glass and a Half Full Records and produced this first single called Zingolo feat. Tinny. Cadburys share of profits from the sale of the track go to the charity CARE International. The video is set in Ghana and celebrates all things Ghanaian. It seems an unusual step for a chocolate producer to move into the record business. Nonetheless, the video has received more than 100,000 views in one month.
Agency: Fallon London